Author Topic: DSLR Camera  (Read 3114 times)

Minimalist__

• CSOG'er
DSLR Camera
« on: February 07, 2013, 02:09:13 AM »
I have been wanting to get a DSLR for a number of years now, but started putting money aside for one after Christmas.

I decided on the Canon 600d as my first venture into the world of DSLR and, with my birthday coming up this weekend, decided to go for it.

Went the eBay route, specifically the auctioning route. Checked feedback of seller, had pictures, had receipt of camera from Jessops, won item.

That was on 28th January. Now I'm 4 days into the case resolution process to get my money back. Seller was a fraud, listing was removed from ebay after I purchased and eBay suspended his account. I have to wait until the 13th to escalate the case to eBay themselves where I am hoping very very dearly I will receive my refund.

Worst thing about it is that there was a seller selling identical kit for a similar price for weeks. But they had decided to add 100 to the price the week I decided to buy the item. Now they've put the price back down and every day a couple of cameras sell. Their stock is now at 28 left.

Let's just hope I get my money refunded before that legitimate seller runs out of stock!

I use eBay tons and rarely have problems. I'm just particularly bummed about this one since I had saved specifically for the item for weeks now, and have been anticipating it for even longer.

Wish me luck in my adventures to obtain a Canon 600d at the best possible price!
Stephen

G1ZmO

• CSOG Founder
  • Administrator
    • CSOG
Re: DSLR Camera
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 08:26:31 AM »
I wish you luck Stephen

Be assured though, that in the world of eBay the buyers rights are frequently (if not always) taken in higher regard than those of the seller so I expect you will get your refund. It is frustrating having to wait for it and seeing other potential purchases slip by.

Paul
Paul

boabsta

• CSOG'er
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 08:32:01 AM »
Nightmare. I've just had to do the same but I was sold a defective camera.
It took just over a month to get refund but that was mainly due to the seller promising refunds and then not having the funds available. You should get the money back but maybe take a wee while.
It's always the way that as soon as the money is spent that you spot better deals. I seen a few crackers as I was waiting on my refund.

I'm sure it will work out for the best in the end  :)

Rab.
Funk it, close enough ;D

Minimalist__

• CSOG'er
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 08:47:46 AM »
It was my own fault really. It was my lack of patience that made me bid, after I got suspicious I realised it was fairly obvious that he was a fraud. He had a variety of feedback from users with very similar usernames for items that cost dirt cheap (presumably buying/selling his own stuff to boost feedback), and several of those 'other' users were also suspended.

I phoned eBay to try and see if I could speed up the '8 day period' that you need to try and sort it out with the seller. The user was suspended by eBay not because I reported them, so presumably there are other reasons. Of course, being suspended it's not possible for me to contact him, or him to refuse to refund etc. But eBay said that I need to allow it to run its course and escalate after the 8 days. The person on the phone said that given the circumstance, I'm 100% going to get my money back.

I'm not really sure how it works though. If the seller has removed funds from his PayPal, how do they get the money back? It's not likely he's going to comply, he is a fraud. And I doubt PayPal/eBay dig into their own pocket to refund almost 500. I presumed PayPal likely freeze money in the account for a certain period so that they can take it if something like this happens.

Nevertheless, watch this space! And if nothing else, it's a good lesson in being patient. Which we all know is a fundamental skill for this hobby!

boabsta

• CSOG'er
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 09:34:22 AM »
You should get the money back as thats what the buyer protection is there for. The fact that you paid by paypal is even better as they have theyre own purchase protection scheme and even though they are both owned by the same parent company they have to run the schemes independantly if requested. From what I can remember (as I do have the worst memory ever. I think.) is if the seller cannot be contacted by a set period then ebay or paypal will refund the amount to you and then they shall take legal proccedings to cover theyre costs and that of the refund from the seller.

Rab.
Funk it, close enough ;D

stfn

• CSOG'er
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 09:43:38 AM »
Stephen, It's a pain having to wait, I know, but eBay does favor the buyer and in these cases you are protected. It just takes a while because you have to wait this 'minimum time' nonsense before you can raise a fraud case

Longjohn54

• CSOG'er
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 12:25:38 PM »
It was my own fault really.

No it wasn't.  Don't be too hard on yourself.   Fraudsters are highly skilled and manipulative and can appear very plausable on a 'trust' system like eBay.

Wishing you a speedy return of funds.

John
John

Ad Astra Tabernamque  (to the stars and pub)

wullmeister

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 12:40:59 AM »
how did u get on with this.
i had the same problem but for a gearbox for my kx 125 off road bike and after 2 months and 2 letters to pay pal i ended up 90 down the drain.
hope u had better joy.