Author Topic: ALDI - POWER PACK  (Read 5534 times)

perthskies

• CSOG'er
ALDI - POWER PACK
« on: February 01, 2013, 02:01:36 PM »
Just a heads up re the above, great bit o kit  :o :o :o , 17ah and a 3 year warranty next Thursday  :P :P
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_29051.htm
David
Sold my Dob, got Star Adventurer and other stuff

boabsta

• CSOG'er
Re: ALDI - POWER PACK
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 02:14:57 PM »
Very tempted. Will come in handy for running laptop off and if I get a flat battery or tyre :)

Rab.
Funk it, close enough ;D

Longjohn54

• CSOG'er
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 02:33:31 PM »
Just remember to top up charge at least monthly.

Also the guarantee does not cover a battery that has been fully discharged and now fails to take a charge.

John

John

Ad Astra Tabernamque  (to the stars and pub)

stev74

• CSOG'er
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 09:57:50 PM »
Thanks for the heads up David, my power tank isn't what it used to be, I think it might be time to replace it!!
Steve
Skywatcher 300P Flextube Goto Dobsonian
EP's - 6mm Baader Genuine Ortho, 7mm XW Pentax, 10mm XW Pentax, 13mm ETHOS, 28mm WO UWAN
Barlows - 1.6x Antares, SW 2x ED, 4x Imagemate
Cameras - DFK 21AU618.AS Colour, Mintron 12V6HC-EX Mono, Canon 1100D
Bino's 15x70 & 20x90.
www.cosmosplanetarium.co.uk

Teslar

• All the gear and no idea :)
ALDI - POWER PACK
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »
Very tempted. Will come in handy for running laptop off and if I get a flat battery or tyre :)

Rab.
You'd be lucky to get a 3hrs powering a laptop fully. These type of batteries as not good for constant drain. They are for surge use hence there use as a jump starter. For Astro use and long power drain you really need a leisure type battery at least 65ah
Mounts: HEQ5, NEQ6
Scopes: Teleskop Service  10" CF , Skymax Mak 180Pro, ED80
Visual: Baader Hyperion 5,10,17,31 & Zoom
Camera: QHY8L, QHY IMGOH, QHY5L-II

boabsta

• CSOG'er
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 09:57:14 AM »

Rab.
You'd be lucky to get a 3hrs powering a laptop fully. These type of batteries as not good for constant drain. They are for surge use hence there use as a jump starter. For Astro use and long power drain you really need a leisure type battery at least 65ah

I know what your saying about the battery and thats cool as my lappy battery lasts around 4 hours running several progs and will take a full charge in just over an hour while still running so I think that should be ok for the aldi pack. Plus I do think I need a jump start and can realy use the inflator until I catch the bar steward who keeps leaving screws at my tyres.

Rab.
Funk it, close enough ;D

dtr42

• CSOG'er
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 12:48:33 AM »
why would you need a battery with 65amps per hour?a 17ah would suffice [good word at this time of night ;D] had a 17 ah powerpack that ran my laptop and goto for 6 hours with no problem

Astronut1982

• CSOG'er
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 10:40:28 AM »
I'd say that a 17ah power tank isn't enough for 2 reasons Dave.

The first reason being that you're not really supposed to run the batteries below 50% charge. Running a Goto & laptop will use at least 2 amps an hour which would mean that over 6 hours you've used 12amps & this is over the 50% charge. Constantly doing this will severely reduce the lifespan of the power pack.

The second reason as Tom says, is that the power tanks are the wrong kind of battery. They are not designed for long continous use which astronomers require & again reduces the lifespan of the battery. The best kind of battery for this kind of use is the deep cycle battery which is designed for a deep drain although again you don't want to go below the 50% charge.

You might not need as much as 65ah but I would say if you're running scopes & laptops for 5-6 hours an evening then 30ah would be the minimum. If you're also running dew heaters & other accessories then you'll need even more.

I've had 2 17ah power tanks, one from Skywatcher & one from Maplins but I thought they were both useless & I'd never use another one as they were not fit for purpose at all. I only use leisure batteries now & can't recommend them highly enough.

Jeff
William Optics 110FLT triplet APO with motorized Moonlite focuser & dedicated FF/FR at f5.9.
APM 50mm guidescope.
Atik 314L+ mono
QHY8 CCD camera.
QHY5 II M (Guide camera).
AZEQ6 Pro with EQMOD on a berlebach Planet tripod
8" Revelation Astro Dobsonian newtonian
Home building a 12-16" dob as well.

DaveT

• CSOG'er
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 11:40:57 AM »
Save a bit of power as well guys -- dont use an invertor to power your lappy as they are current hungry, use a dc to dc 12v step up like this one. plus you dont get any of the nasty ripples from the car invertors. Im gonna order / make one for my laptop

Dave