Author Topic: Getting fed up o this!  (Read 6521 times)

Astronut1982

• CSOG'er
Re: Getting fed up o this!
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 03:00:04 PM »
I'm getting pretty sick & tired of the met office & their awful forecasts.

They are so bad at times that it can be complete cloud cloud cover from horizon to horizon at a given moment but they still tell you that it's clear outside, how can they not see that on their satellites?

I understand that the weather is a hard thing to predict but you would think that they can see the clear patch or cloudy patch on the satellites & update the weather but they never do. I once sent an email complaining about this but I never got a reply!

Jeff
William Optics 110FLT triplet APO with motorized Moonlite focuser & dedicated FF/FR at f5.9.
APM 50mm guidescope.
Atik 314L+ mono
QHY8 CCD camera.
QHY5 II M (Guide camera).
AZEQ6 Pro with EQMOD on a berlebach Planet tripod
8" Revelation Astro Dobsonian newtonian
Home building a 12-16" dob as well.

stfn

• CSOG'er
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 06:47:27 PM »
Me too, fog forecast all last night. I walked outside and there was Jupiter, clear as a bell. Damned annoying.

DaveT

• CSOG'er
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 06:51:47 PM »
It never fails guys and girls -- i too got a shock how clear it was last night, so i grabbed my camera to fire off a few shots. A bit of warning would have been nice to get the scope out and acclimatised ready for it. The fog drifted in and out in banks for a good few hours, but was out more than in lol -- i wouldnt hold my breath for it to do the same tonight lol

Dave

dtr42

• CSOG'er
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 09:00:32 PM »
just clouded over been oot for over an hour with the evo 150, jupiter was realy crisp banding and 4 moons , albeiro double star and just general gazing was nice , will need to get the ra motors for the eq mount and a polar scope and a telrad base but apart from that  was a nice but quick hour [in the future it will be known as " a wee cheeky"

Andy Brown

• CSOG'er
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 04:09:33 PM »
Hi Rab,

You could run a virtual machine with Windows XP on it. I've done that with my Windows 7 laptop, I've got copies of VMware [a virtual machine] & windows XP if you want them. Pop down one day or night or I can pop up to yours & we can set that up if you want.

Grant, from what I gather some of the reasons Canon are better than Nikon for AP is because they have a much better signal to noise ratio & also that there is much better software & much more of it out there for Canon. I have also heard that the guy in charge of Canon is an astrophotographer himself which may or may not have something to do with it.

The astro mod means removing the the IR filter in the camera to make it much more sensitive to the Ha wavelength of light present in Nebulae. This does however make it unsuitable for daytime photography unless you have a replacement filter fitted that allows both or you can buy an Astronomik EOS clip filter which sets the camera back to original white balance. This method stops you from using an EF-S lens however, you must use a manual lens with the EOS clip filter.

Jeff

Hmm, it's the back bit of the EFS lenses that sticks out too far for the clip filter, after market lenses eg Sigma don't protrude and in fact are flat at the back, not that you'll be using autofocus, well not after the first go!

And.

blinky

• CSOG'er
    • My Astro Imaging Blog
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 09:36:54 PM »
im not sure running on a VM will make it work - as far as I can remember you dont have access to the USB ports in the VM, or you do but only if the device connected is on a list of compatible devices.

boabsta

• CSOG'er
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 05:31:32 PM »
Well I don't know if I have access to the USB ports through the vm or not as it turns out the canons kapooped anyway. Emails have been sent so we shall see what happens. Stoopid eBay. Stoopid canon. Stoopid hobby.
Funk it, close enough ;D

Astronut1982

• CSOG'er
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 06:44:31 PM »
You can access the usb ports on the virtual machine as I can connect my astrophotography hard drive up to it. I can't remember off the top of my head what you need to do but it is simple & if I set it up could suss it in a couple of mins.

Thats a bummer about the camera bud. If you paid by paypal though you can get your money back so I wouldn't worry about it too much although I know how frustrating it is though when that happens.

Jeff
William Optics 110FLT triplet APO with motorized Moonlite focuser & dedicated FF/FR at f5.9.
APM 50mm guidescope.
Atik 314L+ mono
QHY8 CCD camera.
QHY5 II M (Guide camera).
AZEQ6 Pro with EQMOD on a berlebach Planet tripod
8" Revelation Astro Dobsonian newtonian
Home building a 12-16" dob as well.

boabsta

• CSOG'er
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 07:00:10 PM »
I don't think there will be a problem with the USB as it appears in the device manager.

I've asked the guy for a refund so will see if he responds.

I also changed the settings on the vm as it was lagging like a dog. I reckoned it might be a case o too much so I'm only using 1 processor and 2 cores with 1gb ram and it flies now.
Funk it, close enough ;D

boabsta

• CSOG'er
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 09:36:36 AM »
Have had to open a case against the guy who sold me the camera as he is saying he listed the camera correctly.
Never denied it was defective tho. Another pain I could be doing well without.
Funk it, close enough ;D

Andy Brown

• CSOG'er
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 06:55:59 PM »
That's pretty  >:(
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 07:05:09 PM by Andy Brown »

blinky

• CSOG'er
    • My Astro Imaging Blog
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 09:58:09 PM »
Jeff, as far as I remember (and it was a couple of years ago I did the VMWare training so this may no longer apply) only certain devices were supported through USB.
What is wrong with the camera?  Will it not operate at all???

boabsta

• CSOG'er
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 11:22:29 PM »
Camera operates fine on its own but it doesn't get recognised by the laptops. I tried it with win7, vista and xp and no joy. The guy shipped it with a card reader saying he never had a cable for connecting the camera to a computer so never knew of the fault but the fact that the cable supplied for the card reader is the same as for the camera leaves me doubting him somewhat. He also failed to mention that the camera is a rebel xi wich is the yank version, petty I know but I still would like to know this beforehand. He even said I should have asked before bidding even tho his listing was for a 350d.

He has offered me a refund if I'm willing to wait until 21st december but I have made him an offer of a part refund for the body only so we shall see how it goes.

Rab.
Funk it, close enough ;D