Author Topic: Tripod for Skywatcher Heritage 130 Dob?  (Read 7441 times)

bantha29

Tripod for Skywatcher Heritage 130 Dob?
« on: October 22, 2012, 10:36:58 AM »
Hi all! I'm a complete astro newbie so please forgive any schoolboy errors! I have just taken delivery of my fist scope a Skywatcher Heritage 130mm Dob. As you may know it comes with a table-top mount which somewhat limits where it can be used. My question really is: is it possible to source a tripod/mount for this scope and if so any suggestions as to where would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Paul Pringle

boabsta

• CSOG'er
Re: Tripod for Skywatcher Heritage 130 Dob?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 11:07:28 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forums Paul  :D

Have you considerd maybe just standing the dob on a table outside? Or a large box or maybe even a small set of folding steps?

The non dob 130 ships with the eq2 mount which is 120 on its own or 180 with a 130p on it.
Its not the most stable mount but if your only doing visual observations then it is fine.

If you are going to get the eq2 mount then maybe consider selling the heritage first and putting some extra to getting the 130p and mount together and save yourself some money. Even if you only manage to get 80 for the heritage then you will only be paying 100 more to get a scope and mount package.

If you decide to buy seperately you will also need scope rings otherwise the eyepiece will find itself in some very uncomfortable positions. That would be an extra 22 for them.

Hope this helps and dont be afraid to ask if your not sure of anything. Theres no such thing as a silly question  ;)

Funk it, close enough ;D

Astronut1982

• CSOG'er
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 12:55:45 PM »
Hi Paul welcome to the forum.

Take a look at this, a member on SGL modded his heritage to include a tripod:-

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/158307-heritage-130p-transformation/page__hl__+heritage%20+130%20+dob%20+tripod#entry1600108

If you can get the eq2 tripod second hand, it would be a very cheap mod to do would make using it alot easier.

Jeff
William Optics 110FLT triplet APO with motorized Moonlite focuser & dedicated FF/FR at f5.9.
APM 50mm guidescope.
Atik 314L+ mono
QHY8 CCD camera.
QHY5 II M (Guide camera).
AZEQ6 Pro with EQMOD on a berlebach Planet tripod
8" Revelation Astro Dobsonian newtonian
Home building a 12-16" dob as well.

dogfish

• CSOG'er
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 01:20:32 PM »
Hi Paul,

I actually have a wee equatorial mount (CG3 which is equivalent to a slightly bigger eq2 but not quite an eq3). It also has a motor drive so that it will track the stars. Yours for 70 quid collected from Glasgow.

Message me if you're interested.

Cheers, Martin

bantha29

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 06:12:57 PM »
Many thanks to everyone for their helpful advice! After much thought (well, about 5 minutes) I've decided (as ever) to follow the path of least resistance and return the Heritage to the suppliers and instead order the Skywatcher Explorer 130 w/tripod (for the same price!). Also I'm off to rural Perthshire this weekend and hoping for clear skies so keen to have a scope by then!

Thanks once again and no doubt I'll be back pestering you all very soon! :-)

zedzed

• CSOG'er
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 07:03:12 PM »
If you like the dobsonian idea then why not get a 150p dob? (http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html)

I've an EQ mounted scope and sometimes I wish I had the simplicity of a dobsonian (I'm not into imaging) ... easier to get it out for back garden 30 minute sessions when it's freezing! (no setting up mounts, aligning, etc. ... just point and go!)

As ever there are many options :)

Dez