Author Topic: Guiding using a laptop & Camera ?  (Read 7008 times)

Wilsons102

• CSOG'er
Re: Guiding using a laptop & Camera ?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 07:19:17 PM »
Oh ? so im confusing myself here  ::) So an EQ3-2 with dual motors cannot be guided at least without modification to the handset ? Unless i have the synscan version ? Am i right ?
Skywatcher Startravel 102mm Refractor, EQ2, EQ1, Canon EOS 400D.

Wilsons102

• CSOG'er
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 07:21:43 PM »
There are modified handsets about too to accept auto guider input ports, useless ?

EG : http://www.365astronomy.com/lacerta-eqhc-handset-hand-control-for-eq3-st4-compatible-p-2557.html
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 07:24:41 PM by Wilsons102 »

blinky

• CSOG'er
    • My Astro Imaging Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 07:32:53 PM »
I would not bother - the autoguiding adapter still lets it guide at single speed, most autoguiding apps work at 0.25x sidereal rate. I would say get a synscan version - I think you can buy an upgrade to synscan though, might be an option?

Wilsons102

• CSOG'er
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 07:40:45 PM »
Suppose that is an option to synscan upgrade. 300 wow costs more than the EQ3-2 Tripod , 90mm Guidescope, Tube rings , dew heaters and controls, motor controls , 9x50 finderscope and a case full of Eyepieces put together.... lol  Somones going to need to find one used =]

blinky

• CSOG'er
    • My Astro Imaging Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 08:00:53 PM »
Ain't cheap but well with it, tbh I would not go with anything less than an heq5 pro or suns an, much more loading capacity

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Wilsons102

• CSOG'er
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 04:29:50 PM »
Im thinking now about spending a little bit more and getting the EQ3-2 Pro with synscan its quiet expensive compared to a standard EQ3 or EQ5 but i suppose then i have no problems modifying much. Some of the autoguiders without the need for a laptop are more appealing then as well. Thanks for drumming it in that i need synscan lol

blinky

• CSOG'er
    • My Astro Imaging Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 04:50:34 PM »
Only thing to remember is that the weight capacity of the EQ5 is quite low, you will almost certainly want a bigger scope at some point - if you can afford it I would say go for the HEQ5 Pro/Synscan.  Either way, once you have a Synscan mount you dont need to mod anything, you can either plug a cable into the handset then plug that into a serial>USB Converter then into a PC/Laptop or you can get an adapter (Think they are about 30?) that goes straight from serial>USB Convertor into the mount head.  Then you can use EQMOD :) :)
On final thing - these standalone autoguiders, I dont think are very good! Far better to get something like a QHY5 and a laptop, then you have full control of mount, goto and guiding, EQMod really is an amazing piece of software

Wilsons102

• CSOG'er
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 05:15:37 PM »
The QHY5 is cheaper than the stand alone guiders as well which is a plus... The thing about getting an HEQ5 is not only the price but because its big and heavy and a bigger scope would also be big and heavy, i will be carrying my kit most of the time its un usable in my garden especially since the council put brighter street lights its just a yellow ghastly wash out. I dont think i would be prepared to lug around a HEQ and a big scope at least not for a long time. I use a little Short tube 102mm refractor at the momment and im thinking of using a 80mm guide or 60mm  my scope is very light as it is. Theres a guy on stargazers lounge with the same scope as me on a synscan EQ3 with a guide and its coping lol.

But all in all i intend to max out the mount if need be in favour of portability. I don't see myself ever upgrading to big refractors or a reflector any time soon. If i was rich enough lol i would be more likely to consider Apo Refractors with better optics, rather than larger or more aperture.

Got my tent and sleeping bag purchased few weeks ago for heading down Dumfries national park sometime dont see me backpacking with an HEQ5 ? haha  ;D

blinky

• CSOG'er
    • My Astro Imaging Blog
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 06:47:11 PM »
What are you going to do for a guide scope?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Wilsons102

• CSOG'er
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 06:57:04 PM »
Was thinking of just a star travel 80mm

gary1968

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 08:38:55 PM »
Scott, do a google search for 'finder guider'.... its a guide scope made using a finder scope and a qhy5, you need a wee adaptor but its pretty inexpensive by comparison, and most folks that have used them seem to get on OK with them.
This wouls also free up a bit of capacity on the planned EQ3-2 therefor not pushing it so much.

HTH,
Gaz
Skywatcher star discovery 150p
Canon 1000d
Philips spc900 webcam
Loads of other bits n bobs

Everything will be OK in the end, if its not OK its not the end........

Wilsons102

• CSOG'er
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 09:21:03 PM »
Thanks gary , ive seen them about but didnt know how well they worked