Author Topic: Very new to this!  (Read 2344 times)

Katrina

Very new to this!
« on: November 14, 2016, 08:44:07 PM »
Hi everyone  :)

I am looking to buy myself a telescope and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what to go for. I am very new to this and don't have a clue where to start.

I want a good one so don't mind spending a reasonable amount of money but nothing crazy.

Thank in advance,
Katrina  :)

Lorne

• CSOG'er
Re: Very new to this!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 09:35:09 PM »
Hiya Katrina,
Welcome to the forum.
Try to get to a local meetup before you buy something, that way you can see and try different types and sizes of telescopes and help decide which type you prefer.
L.

blinky

• CSOG'er
    • My Astro Imaging Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 11:41:03 PM »
Hi Katrina,

If your looking for something thats good for observing you cant get better than a dobsonian - any size really but the bigger the better!  Maybe an 8" Dob would be a good place to start.   You can get GoTo versions as well - these (once aligned) will allow you to select a target from the handset ad the scope will move to and track on that target. More expensive than a manual/non electric dobsonian but if you have some light pollution the goto saves you as you wont need to 'star hop' to your target.

As has been said, try and get to one of our meets, whenever its clear we try and get together, there is a popular spot near Livingston - Harrperig Reservoir or I have found a new place near me, just outside Gorebridge on the south side of Edinburgh.

Craig

perthskies

• CSOG'er
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 10:17:10 AM »
Hi Katrina, where are you based in Scotland? As Craig and Lorne suggest, get along to a meet up with some of the folks on here.

There are a few womenfolk on this site also, could be a bit daunting meeting in the middle of nowhere in the dark with guys lol, but we are a good bunch.

Here is a link with some info also -http://www.scopereviews.com/begin.html

David
12" Goto Dob - wee grab 'n go refractor
Gloves - silly hat 3 pairs of binos and nae sense.

Katrina

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 02:02:39 PM »
Hi everyone!

Thank you for replying!

I live in southlankshire just outside Lanark.

Yes meeting in the middle of nowhere in the dark is a daunting idea haha.

perthskies

• CSOG'er
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 02:07:01 PM »
Hi everyone!

Thank you for replying!

I live in southlankshire just outside Lanark.

Yes meeting in the middle of nowhere in the dark is a daunting idea haha.

I come from Lanark originally, but now live in Abernethy

David
12" Goto Dob - wee grab 'n go refractor
Gloves - silly hat 3 pairs of binos and nae sense.

jamesg4128

• CSOG'er
  • No passengers on spaceship earth - we are all crew
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 01:26:18 AM »
Hi Katrina, welcome to CSOG  :). When I first got started I bought a second (or maybe third!) hand Skywatcher 250PX (10") push-to from one of the guys on the forum. This is a newtonian reflector telescope on a simple dobsonian mount. It was a great scope and I learnt so much about the night sky, especially where to find stuff, as I had to find the deep sky objects manually (with a lot of help and guidance from the CSOGers). This was fun and very exciting and such a buzz when you find your first galaxy or a nebula by yourself - it really gets you hooked. The 250PX is a big scope and capable of picking out some amazing objects but it was very easy to use and set up on the dobsonian mount (you can pick these up for about 250 second hand or 400 new). Getting out to sessions with the guys can really help as it can be daunting at first with your new scope - the CSOGers are really great and are always keen to assist. From this you can further develop your observing skills and maybe even venture into the dark art of imaging (you will need a different scope and mount set up for imaging). I have never strayed into the "dark side" myself but there are a lot of guys on the forum who have and would help if this is the direction you want to go in. I just got "aperture fever" and I have continued to get bigger and bigger newtonian telescopes to see deeper and deeper into the amazing night sky (currently I have a 16" GOTO and a 18" PUSHTO newts which are both amazing instruments). Good luck with your hunting and hope to see you at one of our star gazing sessions or star parties.
James

SW Stargate 450P Truss-Tube
SW Skyliner 400P FlexTube GOTO
SW Equinox 120 APO PRO
Celestron C9.25 XLT SCT
Celestron AVX Mount
Celestron StarSense AutoAlign
EPs: 11mm Nagler, 17mm Ethos, 28mm Nirvana, 9mm ES
Bins: 10x50, 15x70
...and no more room in the garage (or the hoose)!.

jamesg4128

• CSOG'er
  • No passengers on spaceship earth - we are all crew
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 01:35:52 AM »
Oh, and a decent pair of binoculars (e.g. Celestron Skymasters 15x70 - 60 in Maplins just now) if you haven't already got some is the best place to start.
James

SW Stargate 450P Truss-Tube
SW Skyliner 400P FlexTube GOTO
SW Equinox 120 APO PRO
Celestron C9.25 XLT SCT
Celestron AVX Mount
Celestron StarSense AutoAlign
EPs: 11mm Nagler, 17mm Ethos, 28mm Nirvana, 9mm ES
Bins: 10x50, 15x70
...and no more room in the garage (or the hoose)!.

SpookyKatt

• CSOG'er
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 05:19:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum Katrina, I hope you
enjoy it here.

Kathleen
HEQ5/EQ5
Tal 200K and Tal 100R
Equinox 80 and Orion 80
Skywatcher 150mm Refractor
Modded Canon EOS 400D
DFK-31AF03

neilbuc

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 11:31:23 AM »
Welcome.  The dark side as James says, is my speciality. If you are just starting pick up a second had newtonian on Gumtree.  I got one for 25 from there. after seeing M31 Galaxy with it I was hooked. I really must pick up another visual grab and go scope. I sold my 127slt scope to a new chap here. Really wish I hadn't as it was a brilliant starter scope.

Clear Skies

Neil

Skywatcher Esprit 80ED Super Apo
GSO 8" Ritchey-Chretien with Moonlite Focuser
Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 GT
Celestron 10 x 50 Bins
Moravian G2-8300 Mono with Full Baader Filterset
Astromodified Canon 600D with Baader Filter
QHY5L-II Mono Guide Camera