Author Topic: Advice on smallish goto scope for UK-based holidays  (Read 1194 times)

iam4208

Advice on smallish goto scope for UK-based holidays
« on: November 08, 2016, 09:14:55 AM »
I may have asked this before, but can anyone recommend a smallish goto scope that will take up around half the boot of a small car or half the back seat.
I'm off for a week in November and it will be UK-based, so I'm hoping we will go somewhere close to a dark sky area.
I'd prefer a goto to allow me to see lots of objects.
Remember I'm used to a 12" dob!!
Sky-Watcher Skyliner-250PX FlexTube Parabolic Truss-Tube Dobsonian with Baader Hyperion 36, 21, 13 and 8mm EPs and a 2x Barlow.
Telrad and RACI finder scope for finding objects the good ol' fashioned way:-)

Lorne

• CSOG'er
Re: Advice on smallish goto scope for UK-based holidays
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 12:37:51 PM »
A 127 mak or SW startravel 102 will show you loads, both on AZ goto mounts, obviously you will need to pack a power supply. If it's darker where you are going, the goto may not be so important as you will automatically see more - Celestron 70 travel scope on a normal tripod- doubles as a daytime spotting scope. Or....... get a roof box and take your flex tube!!! ;D

iam4208

Re: Advice on smallish goto scope for UK-based holidays
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 08:34:37 PM »
Thanks Lorne. We're going to Cheshire, which probably won't be very dark. However, it's got to be better than my back garden, so I may try and get hold of one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sky-Watcher Skyliner-250PX FlexTube Parabolic Truss-Tube Dobsonian with Baader Hyperion 36, 21, 13 and 8mm EPs and a 2x Barlow.
Telrad and RACI finder scope for finding objects the good ol' fashioned way:-)