Author Topic: beer for help ineast lothian!!  (Read 2439 times)

popeye

beer for help ineast lothian!!
« on: July 22, 2016, 10:08:42 PM »
I am fairly new to this-just got in to the hobby in october.

Now I am trying to collimate my scope but seem to be sruggling with it!

I am hopping to make a deal with one you you vertens to come round to prestonpans and check if my scope is collimated ok and if not get it rght, plus more importantly walk m through it and teach me this apparantly dark art! in exchange transport and  beer will provided while you work and even a dominos pizza!

anyone willing to take me up on the offer then it would be very much appreciated!

Popeye.
Revelation 8"dob
Skywatcher discovery 6" GOTO
"Knowledge is finite, ignorance is infinite. Intellectually we are standing on a tiny islet in the midst of illimitable ocean of inexplicability. Our business in every generation is to claim back a little bit more land from the sea of the unknown." T.S H

Lorne

• CSOG'er
Re: beer for help ineast lothian!!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 10:59:04 PM »
Popeye,
Not able to get to Prestonpans but have you tried Googling the the "Astrobaby" guide to collimation, its reckoned to be the Haynes Manual of collimating a scope!

PS, did you ever get your setup problems sorted out? the last I was aware of was your scope slewing all over the place whilst aligning!

perthskies

• CSOG'er
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 01:00:45 PM »
I am fairly new to this-just got in to the hobby in october.

Now I am trying to collimate my scope but seem to be sruggling with it!

I am hopping to make a deal with one you you vertens to come round to prestonpans and check if my scope is collimated ok and if not get it rght, plus more importantly walk m through it and teach me this apparantly dark art! in exchange transport and  beer will provided while you work and even a dominos pizza!

anyone willing to take me up on the offer then it would be very much appreciated!

Popeye.

Popeye, if you can get up to Abernethy, I will certainly help you out. Also the Star Camp at the end of September, loads of folk there to help you.

https://www.facebook.com/events/719006841572619/?ref=1&feed_story_type=308&action_history=%5B%7B%22surface%22%3A%22permalink%22%2C%22mechanism%22%3A%22surface%22%2C%22extra_data%22%3A%5B%5D%7D%5D

David
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 01:00:38 AM by perthskies »
Sold my Dob, got Star Adventurer and other stuff

Astronut1982

• CSOG'er
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 04:16:58 PM »
Hi Popeye,

I'm in Musselburgh & could pop along one night to have a look or you could bring it down here & I can have a look at it for you? I have a collimating eyepiece we can use to check but do you have a laser collimator by any chance as this will help us to get it more accurate. Also, do you know what the focal ratio of the scope is, ie is it a fast or slow telescope.

I'm busy this weekend but will be free most weeknights as I'm trying to get all my new imaging kit working ready for the perseids this week.

Jeff
William Optics 110FLT triplet APO with motorized Moonlite focuser & dedicated FF/FR at f5.9.
APM 50mm guidescope.
Atik 314L+ mono
QHY8 CCD camera.
QHY5 II M (Guide camera).
AZEQ6 Pro with EQMOD on a berlebach Planet tripod
8" Revelation Astro Dobsonian newtonian
Home building a 12-16" dob as well.

SpookyKatt

• CSOG'er
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 06:06:56 PM »
Hi Popeye,

What kind of scope is it you have ?  I can come along and give you a hand to try and collimate
your scope.  I have transport so getting there isn't a problem but I will have to pass
on the beer.

Kathleen
HEQ5/EQ5
Tal 200K and Tal 100R
Equinox 80 and Orion 80
Skywatcher 150mm Refractor
Modded Canon EOS 400D
DFK-31AF03

Astrostuart

• Always Learning...
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 12:18:56 AM »
Hi Popeye, im just round the corner in Port Seton Let me know if your still needing help and will see what I can do.  ;D

Stuart
Meade LX90 12" , 80ED Triplet, TAK  FC-100 NEQ6

popeye

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 07:40:28 PM »
Hi Stuart! Thanks for the offer! (Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you) Kathleen did come and have a look at it and tried her best to explain it to me but the problem is I am rather dense so didn't really understand it all!! If you are happy to go through it all with me then that would be great and I would be happy to pop down to pretty soon when ever you are available.
Popeye.
Revelation 8"dob
"Knowledge is finite, ignorance is infinite. Intellectually we are standing on a tiny islet in the midst of illimitable ocean of inexplicability. Our business in every generation is to claim back a little bit more land from the sea of the unknown." T.S H

watson

• Newbie in the Borders
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 09:03:16 PM »
Hi Popeye,
have you had a successful winter's viewing?
Did the collimation go well?
I am in Musselburgh regularly and pop past Port Seton and the Pans occasionally.
I'm new to this as well, but did collimate my old 6"
Should I come in for a natter and you can show me the constellations?
Sky-Watcher eq6 pro
Explore Scientific 127mm f7.5 Apo
Orion UK europa 250mm f4.8 Newtonian
Canon 450D, not modified (yet)
2" 40mm & 28mm and 1.25" 16mm Explore EPs
Altair 2" diagonal and 2" Barlow

popeye

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 08:34:40 AM »

Hi Watson.

Sorry just got your message-not on here much over the summer months!!
I have actually just moved away from the pans up to Ormiston but feel free to swing round on a clear night-always got to meet fellow stargazers!

I saw in another post that you don't have facebook so don't have access to the east Lothian astronomy page so if I am planning on heading out observing I will either stick a messege up on here or if you are happy to pass your number along then I just  send you a text to see if you are about. I tend to observe at a site just outside  Whitekirk near North Berwick. It's much darker then the Rigg and a lot easier to get to from where I am.
All the Best
Popeye.
Revelation 8"dob