Author Topic: Another Scope ? To buy or not to buy  (Read 1816 times)

Wilsons102

• CSOG'er
Another Scope ? To buy or not to buy
« on: December 01, 2011, 03:03:49 PM »
Well ive had my little 102mm Sky watcher for a little while now and i can say it was worthwhile it was cheap, and it has performed well that any beginner telescopes i tried out before. Im feeling the need already to move up a level. Ive seen jupiter the moon various messier objects and just this week Mars at the wee hours after my nightshifts. Saturn is next in the wee hours if i can get it i know its poorly placed right now. Ive been using my scope more and more for imaging rather than just viewing im already looking to invest in a CCD camera this Xmas. Im looking for something a bit bigger around xmas time too maybe a longer refractor ? and use the 102 500mm as a guide ? or in conjunction. Or switch to reflector , i enjoy looking at the solar system but my messier objects are poor in my 102mm even Andromeda is barley visible which should be just visible to the eye. I know my skies are polluted but in dark areas i still dont get very good messier views i spend half the time trying to work out if ive found it or if its a tiny tiny cloud lol ! Maybe a light bucket for future then. Any Recommendations ?
Skywatcher Startravel 102mm Refractor, EQ2, EQ1, Canon EOS 400D.

Lorne

• CSOG'er
Re: Another Scope ? To buy or not to buy
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 06:06:45 PM »
Remember you have to fit what ever you buy into that rucksack of yours  ;D

Wilsons102

• CSOG'er
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 09:08:15 PM »
hehe not really im working now full time so ill be buying a wee car asap

gary1968

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 09:14:23 PM »
Well, then, you wanna start with a HEQ5 if imaging is gonna be your thing Scott...... the 102 will make a good guide scope, the main scope could either be a fast reflector or refrac..... its up to you.

Gaz
Skywatcher star discovery 150p
Canon 1000d
Philips spc900 webcam
Loads of other bits n bobs

Everything will be OK in the end, if its not OK its not the end........

Wilsons102

• CSOG'er
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 09:24:32 PM »
First things first is mounts yes. I have my eye on a few on ebay might get a bargin EQ5s. CCD Camera i might buy for my xmas along with some new eyepieces this week. Something with more power , 5mm and a 3mm maybe, My 102 is rated at 204X max best usable views. A better quality Barlow for boosting the 5mm up to 200x as well.
Reflectors work out cheaper as far as ive seen for the power, Big end refractors would cost me a few internal organs.