Author Topic: Collimation!  (Read 1542 times)

Bruce

Collimation!
« on: January 26, 2016, 08:51:10 PM »
Hi all.
Tomorrow I take delivery of my new 8" dob which I'm really looking forward to. However, I've been doing a bit of research and most of the online instructions for collimating these scopes seem quite complicated and in depth. I currently have a wee mak so I have no collimation experience.
Is it really as difficult as it seems? I've also bought a Cheshire collimating eyepiece, so if anyone can give any advice or pointers, it would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Lorne

• CSOG'er
Re: Collimation!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 12:56:17 PM »
Try the scope first before fiddling around, it may be that your scope is collimated well enough already. If the clouds ever clear, focus on a bright star, turn the focuser all the way in, then all the way out.... your de focussed star should look like a circular airy looking disc, the rounder the better. If they are more "oval" it may be that you need to tweek the secondary mirror slightly. This link is reported to be the easiest guide to collimation on t'internet

http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm

Hope this helps,
L.

Bruce

Re: Collimation!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 09:41:37 PM »
Try the scope first before fiddling around, it may be that your scope is collimated well enough already. If the clouds ever clear, focus on a bright star, turn the focuser all the way in, then all the way out.... your de focussed star should look like a circular airy looking disc, the rounder the better. If they are more "oval" it may be that you need to tweek the secondary mirror slightly. This link is reported to be the easiest guide to collimation on t'internet

http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm

Hope this helps,
L.
Thanks Lorne, much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk