Author Topic: The move from DSLR to CCD (or CMOS really)  (Read 3391 times)

julian489289

• CSOG Members
The move from DSLR to CCD (or CMOS really)
« on: December 17, 2015, 05:39:06 PM »
The move from DSLR to CCD (or CMOS really)

I currently image through my Explore Scientific 102mm ED triplet (F/7)(714mm) and my 8 LX10 (F/10)(2000mm) with a Canon 650D DSLR.  I have a SkyWatcher HEQ5 mount which I run through EQMod Ascom and Guide with a Startshoot auto guider.
I am looking to make the move towards a more dedicated CCD type camera (or CMOS) which I can use for both planetary/lunar and DSO work.  I do not want to spend 1000s in order to get a dedicated CCD for DSO work as I am on a budget, according to the wife, hence CMOS!!   :-\
I have seen a ZWO ASI 174MC Cool or a 224 MC Cool which appears to be a new cooled CMOS range from ZWO which seem reasonably priced for my budget and progression from DSLR.  I understand that these are both great for planetary but as they are cooled can also do DSO work up to around 1000 seconds.
However, I have seen that these have different CMOS chip sizes, the 174 is 1.5 & the 224 is 1/3.  Also I note that the pixel size is 174, 5.86m & 224, 3.75[/color]m [/size]and the 174, 1936 x 1216 & 224, 1304 x 976 resolution.  I know that these affect the field of view etc but have no way as to assess which would be best for my set up??  To complicate things more they also do a 178 & 185!!!! 
What else would I need to consider in choosing one of these cameras for my set up?  I also note that they suffer from amp glow and banding, should this be an issue for me at this price range or would a good stack resolve these matters?
I am looking at the colour cameras but would mono be a better consideration although there is an additional expense with the filter wheel & filters and additional processing work???
Could someone please advise or recommend what I should be considering, I know it is my choice in the end, but I do value the opinion of others in these forums.
Thank You ;D

Julian

8" Meade LX10 SCT
Antares F/6.3 Focal Reducer
Revelation Crayford Focusser
Explore Scientific 102mm ED APO Refractor
Orion 50mm Guidescope
Orion Starshoot Autoguider
Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro Synscan Mount
Canon 650D DSLR with Astronomik EOS CLS clip Filter
Bahtinov mask

blinky

• CSOG'er
    • My Astro Imaging Blog
Re: The move from DSLR to CCD (or CMOS really)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 07:36:21 PM »
Hiya,

I would honestly say that your better off sticking with a DSLR, or a 2nd hand CCD..... Look out for the QHY8 as these are now going for around500 and are a good step up from a DSLR and also come with a decent size chip.  If you want to get into Lunar/Planets then by all means get hold of a dedicated lunar/planet high speed camera.
I just think DSLR's are pretty dam good and to move up to something better whilst also keeping a decent sized chip you do need to spend at least 1k.  If the cameras your looking at suffer from amp glow and banding when used for long exposure then whats the advantage over a DSLR?

gary1968

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 05:49:59 PM »
^^^^^ what craig said, why not get the dslr modded if it isn't already done? Places like Cheapastrophotography do them, and do them well. I have a 450d I bought from them and it's been great, what little use its had due to the bloomin weather.
Skywatcher star discovery 150p
Canon 1000d
Philips spc900 webcam
Loads of other bits n bobs

Everything will be OK in the end, if its not OK its not the end........

julian489289

• CSOG Members
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 11:05:50 PM »
Thanks Guys,  I had seen a new colour QHY8L at Modern Astronomy for 899 reduced from 999.  Looking at the relatively small step up from the ZWO prices (ASI174MC Cool for 789.80 at 365 Astronomy) for 100 extra, would you think this was a good step up from my DSLR to get into CCD imaging?
Julian

8" Meade LX10 SCT
Orion 50mm Guidescope
Bahtinov mask

gary1968

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 11:11:21 PM »
For dso imaging you won't really get much better without spending shed loads on some other ccd...... but, the qhy8 will not be a good planetary camera.
Canon 1000d
Philips spc900 webcam

julian489289

• CSOG Members
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 11:41:02 PM »
Umm, tempted :P
Julian

8" Meade LX10 SCT
Orion 50mm Guidescope
Bahtinov mask

blinky

• CSOG'er
    • My Astro Imaging Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 08:39:02 AM »
I love my QHY8 - a real step up from a DSLR, as Gaz said, not a great planetary camera although I did some lunar shots with it that were nice

blinky

• CSOG'er
    • My Astro Imaging Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 08:43:21 AM »
look round my blog, most images were taken with my QHY8

neilbuc

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 12:59:13 PM »
Well as a modded Canon 600d user I would have to agree with Craig regarding the budget. Myself I plan to continue to image with the 600d till next year and then move to ccd. I will also be moving to mono as I want to also do narrowband.  I am looking at using a 694 chip probably in the Atik one 6.0. What is important is to consider getting a good match for the scope(s). Atik has a useful fov app for the ipad which you can mess about with dirrerent scopes etc. For UK I think somewhere between 2-3 arcsec/pixel is pretty good given the usual seeing conditions. Location depended. I have set myself a budget of 2500-3000 for camera and filters. If you go OSC you won't need to worry about filters obviously.  One tip I have seen alot of is that if you like in the EU get and Atik or Starlight Express so if anything does go wrong you can deal with them without import hassles. If you get a SBIG,  QSI then you will have to maybe deal with US customs. QHY are Asia? Take you time and do lots of research is my advice and if you can borrow one for a shot of at a meet then even better.

Hoping for some clear skies soon.

Neil
Skywatcher Esprit 80ED Super Apo
GSO 8" Ritchey-Chretien with Moonlite Focuser
Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 GT
Celestron 10 x 50 Bins
Moravian G2-8300 Mono with Full Baader Filterset
Astromodified Canon 600D with Baader Filter
QHY5L-II Mono Guide Camera

julian489289

• CSOG Members
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 07:06:01 PM »
Thanks everyone.

After your advice, I have decided to wait until I have sufficient funds then purchase a decent mono & filter wheel for DSO work :notworthy:

Now i may just look to get a CCD for Planetary work. Back on the hamster wheel!!

Any suggestions? ZWO, Atik, QSI, Altair or Starlight Xpress????? here we go again :lol:
Julian

8" Meade LX10 SCT
Orion 50mm Guidescope
Bahtinov mask

gary1968

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 07:48:05 PM »
I hear good reports from the zwo, I had a image source, it was good for the dosh.
Canon 1000d
Philips spc900 webcam

julian489289

• CSOG Members
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 07:43:35 PM »
Thanks everyone, I think it may be the ZWO ASI 120 USB 3.0 just for planetary work to start with

;D

That's the cloud cover sorted for the next three months then!!  Sorry  :-[
Julian

8" Meade LX10 SCT
Orion 50mm Guidescope
Bahtinov mask