Author Topic: Solar Eclipse Observing @ Kirkliston Primary  (Read 3096 times)

stev74

• CSOG'er
    • Flickr
Solar Eclipse Observing @ Kirkliston Primary
« on: March 15, 2015, 03:42:41 PM »
Hi Folks,

I know most of you will already have plans to observe the eclipse but thought I'd throw out an invite to any CSOG'ers still looking for somewhere to observe. Me and James will be doing a bit of outreach at Kirkliston Primary (the school where I've organised BBC Stargazing Live events before), we'll be setting up from 8am on Friday morning.

If you don't have a location in mind feel free to join us, we'll have a PST, Herschel Wedge (white light) on 100ED, and Baader Filter (white light) on a 150P and plenty of solar eclipse glasses. We'll also be showing the kids how to do pinhole projection to observe the eclipse safely.

Feel free to come along with or without a scope as you can use the equipment we have, just let me know if you are coming though as I need to let the school know.  :)

Cheers
Steve
Steve
Skywatcher 300P Flextube Goto Dobsonian
EP's - 6mm Baader Genuine Ortho, 7mm XW Pentax, 10mm XW Pentax, 13mm ETHOS, 28mm WO UWAN
Barlows - 1.6x Antares, SW 2x ED, 4x Imagemate
Cameras - DFK 21AU618.AS Colour, Mintron 12V6HC-EX Mono, Canon 1100D
Bino's 15x70 & 20x90.
www.cosmosplanetarium.co.uk

iam4208

Re: Solar Eclipse Observing @ Kirkliston Primary
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 11:25:59 PM »
Sounds good. I'm hanging off until I know what the weather is going to be like. Already told my boss I might take the day off.
Sky-Watcher Skyliner-250PX FlexTube Parabolic Truss-Tube Dobsonian with Baader Hyperion 36, 21, 13 and 8mm EPs and a 2x Barlow.
Telrad and RACI finder scope for finding objects the good ol' fashioned way:-)

iam4208

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 01:13:04 PM »
It's a shame Kirkliston isn't in Wales :(
Not even sure if I'm going to even bother with it now that the weather up here in Scotland is going to be so cloudy - thoughts?
Sky-Watcher Skyliner-250PX FlexTube Parabolic Truss-Tube Dobsonian with Baader Hyperion 36, 21, 13 and 8mm EPs and a 2x Barlow.

hootsitabernacle

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 02:25:45 PM »
i made a filter for my scope and with the remains of the film i made a good few hand held solar scopes for my kids and their class as they are planning to watch it at school....however Carol on the weather is none too happy about the cloud cover so i will attach my camera to the scope and click away in the vain hope of catching something..unless it rains.....i dont fancy waiting until 2090!
Gordon
12" Dob, 8mm BST, 10 mm and 25 mm EP until I get something better x2 barlow filters etc
450d Canon
I'm new at this lark!

Killie

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 04:44:41 PM »
I am tempted to get up and drive to Arbroath.. last forecast showed broken cloud..

I may get up, check the weather at that time and make the final choice.
David
Skywatcher 127 MAK & 80ED
HEQ5 & Alt-Az GoTo Mount
GSO 8x50 RACI Finderscope & Rigel Quickfinder
EP's -  8mm BST, 32mm GSO, 25mm Stock Skywatcher, 12.5mm Illuminated Reticle + 2.5x Revelation Barlow
Cameras - Modified Canon 700D & QHY5L-II Colour

http://myastronomyadventure.blogspot.co.uk

iam4208

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 06:10:48 PM »
That's a good call Killie.  I might do the same.  I'll PM you my mobile.  Text me if you do head North.

Killie

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 08:29:29 PM »
Some of the forecasts have now deteriorated for Arbroath but I will check in the morning. Most annoying thing is most seem to show it worse between 9 and 11... seriously!

Northumberland may be an alternate but I have to make sure I go somewhere that I can get back home by 1.30pm from which limits me!

David
HEQ5 & Alt-Az GoTo Mount
EP's -  8mm BST, 32mm GSO, 25mm Stock Skywatcher, 12.5mm Illuminated Reticle + 2.5x Revelation Barlow

Takahashi

• CSOG'er
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 10:14:27 PM »
I've been following this page :

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/events/partial-solar-eclipse#?WT.mc_id=Twitter_Events_SolarEclipse&tab=map&map=ScreenTemperature&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.58&fcTime=1426712400

...and it's looking pretty ******* dire, as usual for this ******* country and it's ******* weather.

/rant over

It really is uncanny, how, when a specific astro event occurs, we suddenly get the most extreme non-astro-friendly conditions, and absolutely smack-dab on the very day of the event. This afternoon was showing a possible blue-ish patch over the Arbroath area, which has now turned to crap, and the entire country now seems to be enveloped in clag, for the entire duration, and the rest of the day. "Northumberland may be an alternate" Yeah, I've now been eyeing-up Berwick on Tweed as a possible, but that'll doubtless change before tomorrow morning.

OK, rant is now over. Honest. Blah.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 10:16:24 PM by Takahashi »

Lorne

• CSOG'er
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 11:30:38 PM »
I think we'll be OK. I mean, how many times have we planned a night after a clear forecast and it turns out cloudy, it must work the other way too surely  ;D

Killie

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 09:17:14 AM »
Iain and I have clear skies in Dundee
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:57:30 PM by Killie »
David
HEQ5 & Alt-Az GoTo Mount

Lorne

• CSOG'er
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 10:21:46 AM »
Got some decent glimpses in amongst the passing cloud

Longjohn54

• CSOG'er
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 12:54:05 PM »
Well done Lorne.  Very similar for us at Glebe House.

John
John

Ad Astra Tabernamque  (to the stars and pub)

Takahashi

• CSOG'er
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 06:51:53 PM »
I ended up going to East Wemyss with Iain (Kerr), and it was fantastic. Beautiful day, and (hopefully) some good shots and maybe a video.

iam4208

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 07:42:22 PM »
Dundee was a great venue for Killie and I today. We had lits if dog walkers coming up and asking for a look through the solar eclipse glasses. Will try to post pictures over the weekend, although its a busy one with a Stargazing Live event taking place at New Lanark on Saturday and Sunday nights.