Author Topic: Elite : Dangerous  (Read 2270 times)

Takahashi

• CSOG'er
Elite : Dangerous
« on: November 29, 2014, 12:31:38 PM »
...anyone playing it?

I bought into the premium beta in Spring this year, but hardly touched it due to the (then) state of it, the main reason for investment being the free future addons & expansions. However, I've now started to get into it, with full release being just a couple of weeks away, and I'm having a hard time hitting the "quit" button. :) In many good games, the temptation to have just one more mission, just one more turn, etc, can mean maybe a half-hour or so of late-to-bedness... in this game, wave bye-bye to 3 hours, and the only thing to alert you to your tardyness is the fossilisation of your limbs as you attempt to move your legs for the first time since dinnertime.

There's still an awful lot needing done / fixed in the game, but already the foundation of a worthy sequel to an amazing 90's classic is there. The ship sounds are one of the high-points, along with the graphics of the stars as you "warp" into a system (usually only a hair's breadth away from dipping into the corona) and the potential to get completely and utterly lost in the 400+ million star systems as you explore further and further. It can be a steep learning and grinding curve, but at least there are various ways to achieve your end goal; trading, mining, pirating, bounty-hunting, exploring... all earn you "cash" in the game, and that's before you even touch on the yet-to-be-implemented game plot itself.

Time to come up with some viable excuses for Christmas dinner get-outs. :D

hootsitabernacle

Re: Elite : Dangerous
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 02:11:03 PM »
I played that game on my Acorn around 1981!!!!
Gordon
12" Dob, 8mm BST, 10 mm and 25 mm EP until I get something better x2 barlow filters etc
450d Canon
I'm new at this lark!

Belmthemus

• CSOG'er
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 10:11:39 PM »
Didn't get the beta but am planning on getting the merc version so I'll be playing on release. It's looking amazing just wish I could afford a better pc and occulus rift too :-P  Hoots they had the original and emulator available for download a few weeks ago it may still be available for some nostalgic playing :)

Gav

Killie

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 12:27:01 PM »
I bought into the Beta but then have only actually had the chance to play it once which is a bit annoying.

I need to really give it some time but I worry once i really start my wife and kids may never see me again...

David
Skywatcher 127 MAK & 80ED
HEQ5 & Alt-Az GoTo Mount
GSO 8x50 RACI Finderscope & Rigel Quickfinder
EP's -  8mm BST, 32mm GSO, 25mm Stock Skywatcher, 12.5mm Illuminated Reticle + 2.5x Revelation Barlow
Cameras - Modified Canon 700D & QHY5L-II Colour

http://myastronomyadventure.blogspot.co.uk

hootsitabernacle

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 01:12:09 PM »
Gav where can I download it?...my interest has been re-alighted 8)
Gordon
12" Dob, 8mm BST, 10 mm and 25 mm EP until I get something better x2 barlow filters etc
450d Canon
I'm new at this lark!

Killie

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 06:23:38 PM »
David
Skywatcher 127 MAK & 80ED
HEQ5 & Alt-Az GoTo Mount
GSO 8x50 RACI Finderscope & Rigel Quickfinder
EP's -  8mm BST, 32mm GSO, 25mm Stock Skywatcher, 12.5mm Illuminated Reticle + 2.5x Revelation Barlow
Cameras - Modified Canon 700D & QHY5L-II Colour

http://myastronomyadventure.blogspot.co.uk

hootsitabernacle

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 07:10:42 PM »
oh bloody hell!!!! now I know why I have a six core processor and a dawgs baws graphics card in my pc!!
Gordon
450d Canon
I'm new at this lark!

Belmthemus

• CSOG'er
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 08:44:10 PM »
Ok took the plunge and I have the merc edition, I wont be able to play until the 16th but I will be playing the demo as soon as I'm authorised. Might just have to get a new graphics card to play this as mine is only just making the minimum.

Hoots the original and the bbc emulator to play it is in the store its a freebie download. Takes me back to the commodore 64 and Amiga days playing elite and frontier :-)

Just need to win the lotto and build myself a super pc to dedicate to it :P

Gav

Takahashi

• CSOG'er
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 09:39:13 PM »
I've put it on hold just now until full release. I've practised most different approaches to the game, so hopefully if it gets fleshed-out fully into a proper game, I can start with at least a foothold. Probably still die lots anyway.  ;)

Belmthemus

• CSOG'er
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 05:41:48 PM »
I've been playing the game in solo, I've "borrowed" my brothers X45 joystick and throttle controls which makes all the difference when playing :)

Anyone playing add me in game it's the same name Belmthemus there too

Gav.