Author Topic: Space Engine  (Read 1725 times)

Minimalist__

• CSOG'er
Space Engine
« on: November 25, 2013, 09:23:31 AM »
I didn't see any topic for this software, so I thought I'd make one in case any of you were interested and hadn't heard of this program.

It's called Space Engine and you can get it from here. It's a simulation of the universe and lets you travel around the universe freely. It uses astronomical data for the parts that we have data for and the rest is randomly generated.

It's really awesome stuff and is actively being developed. The developers are pretty daring enough to say that "as long as SE is a scientifically accurate Universe simulator, then one day it will implement ALL space objects and phenomenon that are known to modern astronomy. So you may not bother yourself with questions like "will SE one day have meteor rain implemented". I guarantee that it WILL."

It's still in beta at the moment, version 0.97 I think, and most of all it is free! Although, I'll probably donate some money because I think it's great to use.

It's not really going to help with your observing sessions or anything, but I think it's really interesting to spend a while exploring the universe, visit unknown planets searching for procedurally generated life, watching how well known constellations distort as you get closer to them, visiting star clusters. It's pretty easy to waste a few hours on it. One of the things I enjoyed most was realising exactly how the night sky looks in the context of where it is in the Milky Way. For example, I kind of knew that the Milky Way band we see is looking at the disc of the galaxy side on, but I now have a more intuitive understanding of that cause this software let me zoom out and in.

One thing I will say though is that it requires a computer with pretty high specs. I think they recommend something like 3GHz processor. And it is in beta, so do expect it to have some bugs and to crash every now and then. It also takes a while to get used to moving around and figuring out what keystrokes do what.

Hope someone out there enjoys it!

Mike

• CSOG'er
Re: Space Engine
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 03:13:39 PM »
Cheers. Will give it a whirl :-)

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk

Rgds,  Mike

wullmeister

Re: Space Engine
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 08:21:50 PM »
very nice if anyone downloads it in the system folder this is where the SpaceEngine.exe file is.
saves looking for it :)