Author Topic: Tech Geek needed  (Read 3409 times)

boabsta

• CSOG'er
Tech Geek needed
« on: October 25, 2013, 08:53:52 AM »
Ok so my laptop is a fanny. It wont keep me logged in to anything. Doesn't seem to like cookies and is doing my head in.
Does anyone have any idea why this could be happening and any ways to resolve it?
I have cookies enabled and don't delete them.
Unfortunately this is having an effect on eqascom as well which is a bit of a drama as it is the only control I have over my mount until I can get the handset working again. It will connect to the mount and stay connected long enough to slew to 1 star for alignment and then it disconnects.
As you can imagine (and those of you who have been within earshot at the Rigg can testify) this leads to some mild frustration and colourful language.
Any advice is more than welcome.
Cheers, Rab.
Funk it, close enough ;D

Belmthemus

• CSOG'er
Re: Tech Geek needed
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 10:46:17 AM »
What security software are you running Bob, I had this happen to me and turned out it was the antivirus I was using at the time and it's "internet" security default was far too restrictive.

Assuming it's the same issue and it's affecting eqascom then it could be windows settings what version are you running ?

Gav

boabsta

• CSOG'er
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 11:09:14 AM »
Ive got avg free and windows 7 home premium 64.
I had to do a rollback yesterday as I couldn't access my user details as the key had corrupted????? but the rollback has worked fine. It did however wipe my avg and I had to do a fresh instal again and used all recommended settings again. Still nothing stays connected.
It never used to affect ascom but the last time I was out was when it started disconnecting.

Funk it, close enough ;D

boabsta

• CSOG'er
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 11:20:55 AM »
Just had a wee trawl through windows firewall to see if it was blocking anything and found that phd had been blocked so I have changed permissions on the but don't think that will have any effect on the loss of connection.

Funk it, close enough ;D

Mike

• CSOG'er
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 12:03:51 PM »
Ive given up on all the after market anti virus software and now use Microsoft Security Essentials on all my PCs (2 desktops and 3 laptops)

Have you tried installing a different browser (Firefox or Chrome) to see if they work better?
Rgds,  Mike

boabsta

• CSOG'er
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 12:30:35 PM »
I use firefox but that doesn't explain program connection losses.
Funk it, close enough ;D

Mike

• CSOG'er
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 10:49:40 PM »
Has it ever worked the way you want?  If so can you regress to that point orare you at the point where a reinstall would be required?
Rgds,  Mike

StuffedHaggis

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 06:25:57 AM »
Do you have anthing like CCleaner installed ? And does this happen every time you reboot or power on ?

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

boabsta

• CSOG'er
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 08:00:10 AM »
I have ccleaner but its not set to clean automatically. Also I don't have to reboot for this to happen, I can be scrolling down through facebook and it will ask me to sign in again.
This also wouldn't explain my mount disconnecting.
Its looking more like I am going to have to do a complete reinstall to see if that will fix it, something I want to avoid due to the amount of astro progs and settings I have stored.

To be sure though I shall remove ccleaner and see if there is a difference.
Cheers, Rab.
Funk it, close enough ;D

StuffedHaggis

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 09:27:39 AM »
I have ccleaner but its not set to clean automatically. Also I don't have to reboot for this to happen, I can be scrolling down through facebook and it will ask me to sign in again.
This also wouldn't explain my mount disconnecting.
Its looking more like I am going to have to do a complete reinstall to see if that will fix it, something I want to avoid due to the amount of astro progs and settings I have stored.

To be sure though I shall remove ccleaner and see if there is a difference.
Cheers, Rab.

Some of these programs like CCleaner can cause more issues than what they are worth some times

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

boabsta

• CSOG'er
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 10:08:25 AM »
Well I have removed ccleaner and haven't had to sign in to any of my sites or forums since but as I'm ever the negativist (and inventor of words ;)) I shan't claim a victory just yet.
Rab
Funk it, close enough ;D

boabsta

• CSOG'er
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 05:33:14 PM »
Safari sagoody. Turned lappy off and on a few times now and haven't had to login to anything so fingers are crossed that that's it.
Thanks to Stuffedhaggis for the tip  :D
Rab
Funk it, close enough ;D

StuffedHaggis

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 08:34:13 PM »
Safari sagoody. Turned lappy off and on a few times now and haven't had to login to anything so fingers are crossed that that's it.
Thanks to Stuffedhaggis for the tip  :D
Rab

Not a problem..  Hope it stays fixed

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk