Author Topic: 50th Birthday Present  (Read 2200 times)

StuffedHaggis

50th Birthday Present
« on: October 24, 2013, 07:29:33 AM »
Hi guys

My family and have all clubbed together to get my uncle a telescope of his 50th. He has got a degree in physics but has never used it. He alway chats about the night sky and is always keen on the subject, but due to money never bought a scope.

Now I know it's not a lot of money, we have about 140 to get something.

So as he will be a beginner but with a lot of knowledge of the night sky which of the following scopes do you think would be worth getting.

Skywatchers Explorer 130 EQ2

Celesttron AstroMaster 130E

Or any other suggestion would be great as well. I am trying to stay away from the 130p heritage due to the mount.

Thanks in advance for any help. :happydance2:

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

gary1968

• Global Moderator
Re: 50th Birthday Present
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 08:38:11 AM »
Hi mate,

Those 2 scopes you linked to are essentially the same scopes, slight diffenecies in the mount.
I would go for the Celestron one though, the scope is the same but the mount will be 'slightly' higher quality IMO.
Have a look at this one, http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/celestron-astromaster-130-eq-md-motor-drive.htm it also includes motor drives to track the sky.

Gaz
Skywatcher star discovery 150p
Canon 1000d
Philips spc900 webcam
Loads of other bits n bobs

Everything will be OK in the end, if its not OK its not the end........

Mike

• CSOG'er
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 01:16:44 PM »
I concur but get it from FLO

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-astromaster-series/celestron-astromaster-130eq-telescope.html

In my experience SCS take forever to send things out (that's assuming it is even in stock)
Rgds,  Mike

gary1968

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 04:08:44 PM »
I have never had a problem with SCS but Aye, go with FLO if you prefer.

Sent from my HUAWEI U8815 using Tapatalk

Skywatcher star discovery 150p
Canon 1000d
Philips spc900 webcam
Loads of other bits n bobs

Everything will be OK in the end, if its not OK its not the end........

stfn

• CSOG'er
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 09:19:31 PM »
I would go for the Celestron 130M, good mount and comes with a single axis motor drive
And I agree, FLO are excellent, very good if you have any problems. Always sorted out any issues I have ever had.

Belmthemus

• CSOG'er
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 11:29:03 AM »
I have the celestron and it's a nice scope. I took the motor off as tbh I wasn't likely to use it as it'll need polar aligned each time it's set up but it's there if I decide to use it.

Like most of the cheaper end celestrons (I'm not sure about the skywatcher but I suspect it'll be a similar case) it is hampered by 2 things the main one is that the mount vibrates ALOT when anything is touched but I've hear that putting weight at the centre point of the accessories tray can negate this which leads me to the other the spokes can be fragile as they are plastic and can snap (as mine did) at the screw connecting the central hub and the spoke (generally they are quite fragile and easily cracked/snapped but nothing super glue and a little time didn't fix). Although both issues are easily overcome with patience.

The OTA it'self is actually quite good and I still use it on my goto mount which is celestron and suffers the same issues I've had more luck with this one and also I have plans to reinforce the mount legs to reduce the amount of vibration + get an electronic focuser unit.

You haven't said when his birthday is but if I'm up at the rig and you want to see it, just give me a shout and I'll set it up for you ! Also have a look at costco, I got my celestron 120 gt refractor there for just under 200 least year and it's a good scope / mount but as it's a refractor it's a not so great on DSO's but I have been able to see some Jupiter bands in ok'ish seeing conditions, just not had a chance yet when there's been great seeing lol.

Gav.