Author Topic: Macbook pro for astro?  (Read 1949 times)

boabsta

• CSOG'er
Macbook pro for astro?
« on: October 10, 2013, 09:29:32 PM »
Im looking to get a new lappy as my current one has connection issues that are no good for eq mod.
I ordered a Samsung lappy through the computers for staff thingy at work but was told that it is no longer available and the alternatives they have offered have all been, well, shite.
So would the MacBook pro be any good for astro? Can eqmod be run on it? Or APT? Or the majority of astro progs?
Also a mate asked me if you can get hooky versions of popular expensive programs but I didn't know the answer?
Any and all opinions welcome.
Funk it, close enough ;D

Mike

• CSOG'er
Re: Macbook pro for astro?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 09:46:09 PM »
Not sure about whether the mac would work but I would be very wary of discussing hooky software on a forum.  Most forum admins I know would jump on the posts instantly to protect the good name of the forum.
Rgds,  Mike

GrantR

• CSOG'er
    • My Flickr
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 12:56:28 PM »
I never used my MacBook for any of the Astro stuff. Fantastic laptop though. I'm on my 3rd and they last a hell of a lot longer than any PC laptop I've had. Never got anything to run for the Astro stuff on it though, you'd be looking at installing a windows partition on it for the Astro stuff which kind of defeats the point. For what it's worth my old Sony Viao running Win7 was faultless for any astro stuff. Plus point too if I wrecked it I wouldn't have been nearly as bothered about it as I would be with a MacBook pro.

As for other software, I can't comment...  ;)

boabsta

• CSOG'er
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 04:11:21 PM »
I think I'll stick to windows the now. Cheers :)
Rab.
Funk it, close enough ;D