Author Topic: Modified Webcam - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000  (Read 3160 times)

Minimalist__

• CSOG'er
Modified Webcam - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000
« on: September 27, 2013, 11:21:38 AM »
I hardly use my webcam any more, and I've had these instructions on how to mod the Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 for telescope use in my bookmarks for a couple of months, so ordered the parts for it and did it today.

The total cost of all the parts came to around 25 (minus webcam), but a lot of that was stuff I 'invested' in that can be used for other things like a soldering iron and stuff that I didn't have that many people will have like a glue gun, insulation tape, super glue.

I bought the project enclosure and standoffs (as seen on the instructions) via ebay. They are from Radioshack, so are quite pricey compared to if bought at Radioshack in US but I wanted to get the same parts as the instructions to make sure it all fit. I wish there was an equivalent to Radioshack in UK. Maplins is about as close as you get, but it seems much more limited variety and the prices tend to be higher.

The checked my Amazon account and I bought the Quickcam in July 2008 for 38.99, but price on amazon is now 69.99, presumably because there are newer models.

For my ability, I found the mod moderately challenging, more frustrating than anything else, and more work than I thought. This is the first time I've ever done anything with a circuit board and used a soldering iron, so I'm sure people with more (any) experience would have found it easier.

Most of my difficulties came from the small screws involved. One screw holding the lens in ended up being stripped and I had to improvise first by drilling out the head and then by using the soldering iron to heat up the screw to melt the plastic it was holding in. Not ideal at all and was quite messy!

Another difficulty came from Step 18 where the author says "Install two standoffs at the corners of the other end of the circuit board using small pieces of plastic to hold down the circuit board". For one, the screws already came with washers and he just says 'remove these'. What he doesn't say is that they are on pretty darn tight and the screw is the size of a pinky nail. I spent half an hour trying to get the washers off and only managed to get it off one! Then I spent another 45 minutes finding a piece of plastic that would word to hold the circuit board to the screw.

But, the modification is done. I tested the webcam to make sure all the wires were joined properly. My computer recognises it and the webcam led lights up (had to paint over this in black), so it looks like it's working. Now we'll just need to see how it performs in taking videos of solar system objects! Looking forward to using it.

gary1968

• Global Moderator
Re: Modified Webcam - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 11:54:25 AM »
Nice one, welcome to the dark side........  8)

Gaz
Skywatcher star discovery 150p
Canon 1000d
Philips spc900 webcam
Loads of other bits n bobs

Everything will be OK in the end, if its not OK its not the end........

Mike

• CSOG'er
Re: Modified Webcam - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 04:12:18 PM »
Well done.  I recently modded a Microsoft Lifecam Cinema HD and found it fairly straightforward; no soldering required.  Cost me 15 for a custom made acrylic 1.25" holder.
Rgds,  Mike