Author Topic: I hate to have to do this but.....  (Read 7745 times)

Takahashi

Re: I hate to have to do this but.....
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 08:33:18 AM »
Given the price that MS asks for their "latest version" (130 for basic home win7) that we as consumers are used as guinea pigs to test until SP1 is released i find it incredible that MS as a business are still there.

I must admit, i was never ever a big apple fan, until i tried it. I suppose was a bit over the top to say windows sucks big style, but after using something that doesnt give me any headaches, you can imagine how i feel about windows lol

Best wishes
Dave

Hmmm... Win7 SP1 has been out for quite some time now, both 32 & 64 bit. :)

...but yeah, they do take liberties with their prices. Also, it's easy to get robbed by off-the-shelf prices, when it was posssible to buy it online for as little as 40 (up til recently, when they moved the goalposts again). www.software4students.co.uk used to sell full versions of Win7 Professional and Office 2010 Professional for 40 each, where the off-the-shelf variants you might buy elsewhere were 150 and 400 respectively. These were perfectly legal licensed products, and the Office 2010 was a twin license pack that you could install on a PC and laptop, but you could just as easily install it on any two machines - it was never policed. However, with the advent of Windows 8 and Office 2013 and (the frankly criminal) Office 365, this is no longer possible. Win7 and Office 2010 are no longer available from them, and they, like so many other major outlets are being railroaded into only selling Win8 and Office 2013 / 365, where even the upgrade version of Win8 is 160, and Office 2013 is 95 for the part-crippled Home & Student edition, which has a fraction of the apps you get in the full version. Office 365 is a whole different can 'o' crap... Yearly subscription! Who are they tryin' to kid?!? Who the feck is going to pay 90 a year for something when (as most people do), all they'll use it for is to write the odd letter, or one or two basic speadsheets to organise their finances? One sure way to make people use pirated software... take the piss with your prices. Office 2013, the non-subscription variant, is yet again hundreds of pounds, so we're back to square-one with that. I suspect they've punted this subscription version out there to test the water, with the end-game of making future versions of Windows a yearly subscription as well. I hope it bites them on their greedy corporate ass.

Soooo... rants aside, ;) I guess you can see that as much as I like Win7, and do rate it highly as a stable OS, I'm not the greatest fan of their business model, and never have been.

stuhawk123

• CSOG'er
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 03:56:02 PM »
I use Windows 8 with a dual boot, and i have no issues at all, with it and to be honest i find it more useful than Windows 7, with having the ability to throw stuff to the tv for better resolution than the monitors, and their isn't a program that i have came across that i cant get running, the virtual Machines, are only as good as your Spec in the machine, ie if you only have a Dual Core Processor and 4Gb of main memory then half of that will be consumed trying to run a virtual machine in it, from what im seeing with people upgrading from 7 to 8 is that just dont like the changes , ie no start Menu ect, but this can be easily sorted with Classic Shell. However its the 64 bit Version that non it people struggle with as most programs are only now being developed for 64 bit, but their are fixes if you look for them and read up on how they are to be manipulated for installation , and to be honest 64 bit OS should have a Backwards compatibility helper, to install the program and run it as 32 bit, one more thing i have never had a crash or hang or blue screen of death with Windows 8, something that plagued windows 7 and previous versions.

10" Dobsonian Sky Watcher

G1ZmO

• CSOG Founder
  • Administrator
    • CSOG
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 06:49:29 PM »
Bloody Windows sodding crud! 25 mins to get the pc booted just now because of bloody updates!

Switched em off now! FFS!
Paul

stuhawk123

• CSOG'er
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 07:15:04 PM »
you should have left it to fully update as their is service issues that need addressed, defender and activation updates will be needed, is it win 8 or 7

Takahashi

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 07:46:52 PM »
Certain Windows updates do take an age to install during boot-up. Pain in the proverbial, but thankfully there aren't that many. Most updates are fairly stealthy. Being a Windows user means tolerating their higher-than-any-other need to keep their OS as secure as they can make it. It is after all, the biggest, most sought after target on planet Earth, for desperate, pathetic losers who just love / live to find vulnerabilities in the most popular OS ever developed. Success in others hurts these people, and the only way they know to strike back, is to break all the other kids' toys.

Stick with it, the frustration will subside. :)

G1ZmO

• CSOG Founder
  • Administrator
    • CSOG
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 08:35:31 PM »
It was up-to-date yesterday! Now there are 34 important and 40 optional updates making up 151MB!! lol
Paul

Takahashi

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 08:39:14 PM »
Yeah, it does that, especially at first. We usually get to the first "no updates available" stage, then switch the machine off. Switch it back on again about 15 minutes later, and Shazam! 32 updates, 127MBs. :) It won't last.

G1ZmO

• CSOG Founder
  • Administrator
    • CSOG
Paul

Takahashi

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 08:54:52 PM »
Meh... it's nothing. I've got about 13 Pcs / laptops currently churning away in the shop right now, and about eight of them are 7-based. A glitch in an update is manna to those desperate to report it as a universe-collapsing catastrophe.

G1ZmO

• CSOG Founder
  • Administrator
    • CSOG
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 09:03:54 PM »
At work these are done via WSUS. Saves a lot of bandwidth.
Paul

stuhawk123

• CSOG'er
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 03:18:26 AM »
WSUS saves allot of time also the systems can be allocated a time for updates when idle, i have my Windows Server 2008 R2 update the misses pc after an argument i had with her about Her not being able to play CandyCrush  cause of the installations lengths lol