Author Topic: iPad  (Read 4863 times)

G1ZmO

• CSOG Founder
  • Administrator
    • CSOG
iPad
« on: November 15, 2012, 10:36:29 PM »
Now, since LAST Christmas Daniel (now age 7) has been adamant that he'd like an 'iPad 2' for Christmas 'from Santa'

As 'Santa' I'm looking for advice from anyone with experience of iPads

After doing a bit of comparison I think that the 32GB iPad Mini might be the best option as it has more features than the older iPad 2 as I 'think' it's based on the 3rd gen model. Correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

Any advice greatly appreciated

Paul
Paul

blinky

• CSOG'er
    • My Astro Imaging Blog
Re: iPad
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 10:38:41 PM »
It is an ipad3 with a smaller screen Paul.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

G1ZmO

• CSOG Founder
  • Administrator
    • CSOG
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 10:42:40 PM »
Thanks Craig, as I thought.
But, as a non-apple user, I'm not sure that it's suitable for a 7 year old.
Are there apps which are 'suitable'?
Can I implement parental controls?
Are there free apps or is everything £££?
Paul

GrantR

• CSOG'er
    • My Flickr
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 11:23:25 PM »
iPad mini is actually an iPad2 with a smaller screen, no retina display. At the end of the day as long as it run's ios6, ie not an original iPad it's fine, especially for kids. When all is said though, 16mb Google Nexus 7 is now £159, Kindle HD 16gb is £159 both belting Android tablets and £100 less than the iPad mini. I went from an iPad1 to a Nexus and love it.

stfn

• CSOG'er
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 01:10:49 AM »
The Google Nexus is a superb tablet, much cheaper and a better choice in my opinion. I have a couple of Android tabs, cant fault them. Plenty of free and cheap apps available.

stuffedhaggis

Re: Re: iPad
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 06:43:06 AM »
The Google Nexus is a superb tablet, much cheaper and a better choice in my opinion. I have a couple of Android tabs, cant fault them. Plenty of free and cheap apps available.

Have to 2nd you on this. 32gb nexus 7 £200. Cracking tablet. I massive power for the price..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

blinky

• CSOG'er
    • My Astro Imaging Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 10:57:44 AM »
Paul,

I just bought a galaxy tab 2, faster than an ipad2, but runs android, also known the 10 inch version is 240 from John Lewis but Samsung have 50 cash back saving bringing it down to £190 for a 10 inch tablet.. They also have a 7 inch one with £30 cash back which makes the price £120!!!!! Btw these are the in store prices and the 10 inch one for example is £299 on the website for but £240 in the Edinburgh store

chr1s

• CSOG'er
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 02:37:46 PM »
couple of questions...

what do you guys do with your tablets?

i mean, could i do more with it than with my android phone?

G1ZmO

• CSOG Founder
  • Administrator
    • CSOG
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 02:44:18 PM »
tbh Daniel has had his mind set on an iPad since last Christmas so I think he might be disappointed with another type even if it's better spec'd

I can get the Mini for £255 for the 32GB version with free postage and itís in stock with a 3-5 day delivery....
Paul

blinky

• CSOG'er
    • My Astro Imaging Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 03:00:06 PM »
You have to get what they want, I know what you mean. Our kids friends are getting ipad but ours have thankfully not asked for one but they know I'm getting a tablet and the same games are available on them both so that worked out ok. I in my opinion the ipad now looks like most apple products - overpriced, the android tablets are fantastic value for money at the moment.

stfn

• CSOG'er
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 03:15:46 PM »
I use my tab all the time, its never off. News, weather, FB, twitter, videos, music, maps, email, Astro apps. I am not a game player though, so not games. It's much easier than putting a laptop on and sitting holding it. I once even attached it to the end of my scope and used Google Sky in night mode to help me find Neptune...

DaveT

• CSOG'er
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 03:50:57 PM »
HI mate -- go for the galaxy tab 2 -- £50 cash back, no restrictions on the software to load onto it (i.e. you dont have to jailbreak it like the ipad). Its faster, its cheaper etc etc, plus you get the bonus of a host usb port on it - i can control my canon camera from the tablet. I love my apple macbook, but i wouldnt waste my money on the ipad, as i find it too restrictive and over priced.

just my s cents

Dave

G1ZmO

• CSOG Founder
  • Administrator
    • CSOG
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 12:08:07 AM »
Well, if it were my choice of tablet, I'd probably go for the galaxy however I think he would be really disappointed so I've ordered a 64GB iPad (thanks M for the link)

Paul
Paul