Author Topic: proper astronomy  (Read 1683 times)

gary1968

• Global Moderator
proper astronomy
« on: November 01, 2011, 10:03:44 PM »
My beloved wife, Debbie, has just slated me for 'not doing proper astronomy'.
A bit of back ground to this statement....... I was out in the warmroom, by the laptop, imaging the Bubble Nebula. The gear is all set up doing its thing.. I watched a documentary on the web site while out there. Then I thouhgt, go inside for a while. I decided then to install 'Team Viewer' onto both laptops. I can now see what is going on on the warm room laptop from inside the house vie Team Viewer.
Debbie stated that I am not doing proper astronomy as I am now in the house. She said I should be out there looking through a scope to be able to claim I am doing proper astronomy.
My retort to this was, 'what about Hubble'? is that proper astronomy? She said no, and it that lot that encouraged us lot to now do what we do with cameras and comuters........
So then, what do you guys think, and maybe more importantly, what do your other halfs think about Debbies theory?

Gaz
Skywatcher star discovery 150p
Canon 1000d
Philips spc900 webcam
Loads of other bits n bobs

Everything will be OK in the end, if its not OK its not the end........

G1ZmO

• CSOG Founder
  • Administrator
    • CSOG
Re: proper astronomy
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 10:14:24 PM »
Mel thinks we're all bonkers anyway. As for you Gary, at least I got some eyepiece time this evening with Daniel again after his school Halloween disco! Monitoring your warm room via team viewer! Phfft! I agree with your missus mate! lol
Paul

Wilsons102

• CSOG'er
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 10:16:51 PM »
My other half said it was cheating to stack images of long exposures .... so how does hubble get its images then ... it takes very long exposures and combines mutiple images... there is no such thing as proper astronomy in my opinion its either astronomy ... or it isnt... looking at the night sky with your own methods is entirely up to youself heck i would say your being innovative about it
Skywatcher Startravel 102mm Refractor, EQ2, EQ1, Canon EOS 400D.

Canon Pete

• CSOG'er
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 07:11:03 PM »
Gaz here's a wee thought...

Ask Debbie if she has ever bought anything online or via post..... ;)

if so, thats not proper shopping ;D ;D ;D

( You figured this out yourself mate , NOT moi , ok , comprendi, I will deny ALL knowledge )

Pete

Albireo380

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 08:23:29 PM »
I must admit to have a slight sense of agreement with Debbie. But i like looking at stars etc. imaging is all very well, but the more removed I am from imaging what I can see, then the more "false" I tend to think it is.

So .... If she added in the words "hands on, traditional" before astronomy, then i would probably agree with her, to a certain extent.  I guess we all have a different cut off line where "real" astronomy finishes and "playing with technology" overtakes the astro component.

Tom